St James’ Parade, where the John Baird now stands, was built in 1898 as part of a development which included Princes, Kings and Queens Avenues. In 1913 the shop on the corner of Princes Avenue was a chemist and Post Office owned by Mr. William Pinchen, and remained a chemist until the war when the end three buildings were hit by a high explosive bomb and had to be demolished. After the war the site was purchased by Courage & Barclay Ltd, who donated £200 to Hornsey Council to convert the site to a public garden while the new pub was being planned. The pub was built in 1959 and opened in February 1960 as the “John Baird”, with the opening being covered in an article in the brewery house magazine “The Courage and Barclay Journal” shown below.